I’m always amazed how fast time flies. It seems like only yesterday that we launched Christy’s Cause, now we are celebrating our second birthday. And wow, it’s been one fast and furious ride! When I step back and reflect on all we have been able to accomplish I am pretty amazed. Thanks to a wonderful team of board members, advisors, donors, volunteers, and a supportive community, we have been able to start making an impact in a short period of time.
As we celebrate our second year and move into our third year as an organization, I thought it would be appropriate to take a minute and reflect on the projects we accomplished last year.
In 2017, we:
- Produced John’s Story, a public service announcement bringing awareness to minor male victims
- Shared Taylor’s Story with local law enforcement, State Attorney’s Office, FBI, FGCU, agencies, and organizations as a training resource
- Sponsored several human trafficking trainings
- Spoke at various student events such as the City of Palms Model UN Conference at Bishop Verot High School
- Launched the Did You Know Campaign, creating awareness around sex trafficking statistics
- Participated in eBella Magazines human trafficking awareness campaign
- Spoke at the Human Trafficking Symposium at FGCU
- Built 4 sustainable fish farm systems at a safe house in Chiang Mai, Thailand housing children rescued from the sex trade
- Invested in several local victim service projects
- Welcomed two new Advisors
- Francine Donnorummo, SVU Chief Office of the State Attorney, 20th Judicial Circuit
- Lieutenant Daniel Cote, Lee County Sheriff’s Office
Whew, we’ve been busy, but we still have so much left to do. With Florida ranking 3rd in the nation in reported human trafficking cases and less than 1% of victims ever identified, we must continue to forge forward and fight for those who cannot fight for themselves. This year we will continue aggressively working to eradicate child sex trafficking.
Thank you for joining us in The Cause. Together, we can make a difference!!!